Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is America A Christian Nation, Part XVII, The End of the Beginning

This series began noting that America entered into the Treaty of Paris of 1783, officially ending the American Revolutionary War, and in the process dutifully submitting to the authority of the Holy Trinity.  That was several installments ago.  And when you first read that, I imagine that you may have taken consummate note of that singular fact, however might not have viewed it as conclusive, in and of itself, to the answer to the question, Is America A Christian Nation.  I understand that.  And that is why I have since surrounded that singular fact with the background and foreground necessary to demonstrate the truth that America is indeed a Christian Nation, as I define that term.

So by now, after understanding the supporting history of God's involvement in the founding of America, as evidenced by each of our founding documents leading up to that treaty, and since, not knowing any better, I would expect that any self-proclaimed open-minded reader, who professes to seek only truth, would rightfully conclude, as I do, that America is in fact a Christian Nation, one defined as a nation which derives its sovereign authority directly from the Bible scriptures, including those scriptures of the entire New Testament, and therefore from Jesus Christ, Who according to those scriptures, owns all authority in Heaven and earth (Matthew 28:18).

But I do know better.

If you have read this far into the series, and still do not agree, even to the very possibility that America is a Christian Nation under the definition I offer, then frankly, I expect that you will never believe it.  And I expect that you will never believe it because you choose not to believe it, and you have chosen against believing that truth from the outset.  I do not mean to insult, only to inform.  Abraham Lincoln once wrote of this phenomenon in men, who effectively decide to believe what they prefer believe, despite overwhelming evidence against what they believe.  Lincoln wrote:
One would start with great confidence that he could convince any sane child that the simpler propositions of Euclid are true; but, nevertheless, he would fail, utterly, with one who should deny the definitions and axioms.
I have started with great confidence that I might convince any sane individual that under the definitions I have offered, America is a Christian Nation.  Yet I have known from the outset that I will fail, utterly, with anyone who chooses to deny the definition of a Christian nation, and the axioms that prove it.  I have given the naysayer all opportunity to arrive at the truth.  I have written this series such that any individual who disagrees and who wishes to challenge the facts as I offer them, either directly with me, or challenge them against his or her own preconceived sense of the truth, might trace any disagreement against my final conclusion back to the moment that we departed thoughts, and analyze that point.  As one commenter put it, I have made this analysis 'bullet proof.'  And I am delighted to address any question or a disagreement with the material and conclusions I have offered, provided of course that the person who questions or disagrees has first actually read what I have written.

The unvarnished truth is that most folks who are interested enough to even disagree with the final conclusion of the series will not understand what I have written, and will likely not even read what I have written. And that will not be because they are incapable of understanding or reading, not because what I present is not the truth, but because, as Lincoln noted, it is their personal preference to deny the definitions and axioms.  It is always easier to steer our beliefs away from certain truths that defy our personal preferences, than to accept them and therefore submit to them.  If we merely close our eyes to truth, then we can better shape truth to fit our liking.

But for those who find interest in this subject, and find interest to understand the truth no matter which way the truth may fall, rejoice! This is not the end!  No, Heavens no.  We stand at the beginning!  Now that we have demonstrated that America is a Christian Nation, as we have defined that animal, next we will embark on a course that will help us to understand what that really means! 

And so the title of the next series will just rearrange a couple of the terms.  Rather than Is America A Christian Nation, the new series will be entitled, America IS A Christian Nation.  And in each successive article we will analyze what it really means for Americans to understand that America is a Christian Nation.  And I well imagine that the answers are not what you presently expect.

And thank you again, any of the good folks who have read, and who continue to read these articles.  Once you begin to fully grasp what I present here, I dare say that you will be in an elite class of Americans who are truly beginning to understand what their nation is all about.  But here is a fair warning:

The truth will change you.

I'll be back soon.

Hank

2 comments:

  1. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth! Yes, it will change, it will transform, it will convict all who seek it; those who prefer to stay without its margins will keep repeating the same, meaningless mantras with the same, meaningless results.

    Controversy and questioning are great in all fields of study, yet the scientist, the historian, the believer, should ever quest for the truth in all things. Hank, you have sure charged my mind's motor into high gear with this series and I am so looking forward to the sequel!

    Off to post this to my feed; late, as usual, but trying to stay on top of my posts as I need to revisit my novel in earnest.

    Love and blessings to you and yours, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Martha, fellow truth seeker. I pledge that the next series will. E just as truthful. And I hope that you find it as mentally stimulating aa this one was. Actually, this is all the same series, just the next chapter.

    Thanks for your valuable support.

    ReplyDelete

To post a comment, make sure that "Enable third party cookies" is checked in your browser.